[SLUG] Ubuntu touchpad issues

G'day all,

I'm wondering whether anyone has had success at resolving Ubuntu touchpad issues? My daughter and I both have dual-boot (Win7 64/Ubuntu 11.10 64) laptops; mine is an Acer Travelmate 5740 and hers a Fujitsu Lifebook S6410. the Acer has a Synaptic PS/2 touchpad, and the Fujitsu a "Microsoft" PS/2 touchpad.

I can go into some detail on my case - her laptop's not here, but I'm hoping the fix will sort hers out as well.

A USB wireless mouse plugged in to the Acer works fine; however nothing on the touchpad works.

The "Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server" is installed and after installing tpconfig the Touchpad tab is present under Mouse and Touchpad settings. I installed "gpointing-device-settings", which also recognises the device and provides for its configuration. But neither actually do anything.

I've added 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i8042.nopnp"' to the grub conf, and the touchpad works at the login screen, so I'm assuming it's something associated with X, but I'm very inexpert in even understanding X, let alone debugging it, so: does anyone have ideas?

begin:vcard
fn:Edwin Humphries
n:Humphries;Edwin
org:NetSense Computers
adr:;;79 Barney St (P. O. Box 423);Kiama;NSW;2533;Australia
email;internet:edwinh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Director
tel;work:+61 (0)2 4233 2285
tel;fax:+61 (0)2 4233 2871