SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Traffic control
- To: "Jim Donovan" <jimd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Traffic control
- From: "Ken Foskey" <kfoskey@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:47:49 +1100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=tpg.com.au; s=alpha; t=1330062471; bh=FeeaX4OQy/a5r11O465craTSgx/o9497c84sLLNhD5Q=; h=X-TPG-Abuse:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=IEsP/iG1JJ4cwjYGZGnJoOAgO3fHsLK2DZAO9zFalf3X2xaZNA8uZqcXI05SeE/mK ZQ2eolPBm1NHIU84voW+WhXdkh4NS9y7WTDWvW2v/TCxNFBwzLxpaCtmx4byp9/Y2d fLekTELm5H9Lakp/17vmnIhjR1ZtBLHwMDWLXdyI=
Simple approach is to add youtube.com into the hosts file at 8:00 at night
and remove it at 9:00am not shaping but easy to do.
I have also implemented squid and this has some real shaping potential.
Slowing him down on youtube will reduce his consumption.
From: Jim Donovan
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 2:29 PM
Subject: [SLUG] Traffic control
Recently my ISP discontinued the ADSL plan I was on and put me on another
plan with three times the bandwidth. This is fine however one of the kids
likes watching YouTube and can now chew up a month's data in a few days.
I have warned him. I can let him do it and see how he feels about dropping
back to dial-up speed but the whole family will suffer with him.
Or can I slow down his machine's consumption? One way of doing this might be
to run tc(2) on his machine however the doco hasn't been updated since 2.4
and doesn't seem to make much sense. Has anyone experience of doing policing
with tc(2), iptables(8) or anything else? Or could I alter said son's
machine's routing to use as gateway another machine running something to
slow data down.
Any suggestions, please?
P.S. Not relevant to my problem however you sometimes see plans in which you
can burn a month's data in a few minutes. Why do people sign up for trash
SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html