Re: [SLUG] Re: Android-based smartphones - any drawbacks

Thanks for all the serious feedback, esp. Voytek for battery life discussion and list of sysadmin apps, also Edwin. Sounds like something like Galaxy Nexus with Cyanogen will allow me to seriously experiment - I learned Linux by repairing messes I had made of my system by customizations & mixing stock distro with Linux from scratch. Android seems to offer what I do with Linux - mix and match best of breed / what works best apps, as Patrick mentions with Browsers, customise config options etc. i.e. personalising my OS. I'm in a similar position to what Ken mentions re doctors needing an IPhone if they want to use the MIMS app, but apparently medicos are buying Androids nevertheless - libraries I support will be developing an IPhone app to access their catalog... maybe I can get an Android version going. If I was 30 years younger then Marghanita's evidence would have been crucial.
Rod