SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Re: Android-based smartphones - any drawbacks?
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] Re: Android-based smartphones - any drawbacks?
- From: elliott-brennan <elliottbrennan@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:19:39 +1100
- Reply-to: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20111108 Thunderbird/3.1.16 ThunderBrowse/3.8
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 18:31:04 +1100
well, another viewpoint.
I bought a new notebook and it came with windows 7.
For years I've not felt so dissappointed with a computer. I just
couldn't find anything fun to do with it.
They've even removed 'debug'.. Shish-ka-bobs.
Then After I got Ubuntu 11 on, the machine is my sense of lovely. g++
was built in. Whoah.
I do know what you mean :)
For me there's a sense of ownership and control
that happens when I install GNU/Linux on
something. I know that's slightly exaggerated and
I don't mind Win7. I just don't find *it* (as in
Windows) interesting and fun in the same way I do
a GNU/Linux install.
Maybe it's the simple way of installing
applications, the vast number of things which are
free (in multiple ways) and, sometimes, as with
Humble Bundle, the fact that I can decide how much
I want to pay for something and feel there's a
two-way street in progress.
I also like the fact that on occasions I've
written to the person/s who've created a piece of
software and got a nice, friendly response and
sometimes a "Sure, I'll get on to that/try this"
response. Seriously cool.