SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Android-based smartphones - any drawbacks ?
- To: Jeremy Visser <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Android-based smartphones - any drawbacks ?
- From: simran <simran@xxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 14:20:55 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=D9+iv33tzxkQ7Ih1jMt0amYgSAmfL4OSFX2AQCnOH6U=; b=HnYCAFE28IiW5F7tsFK9fTOxqirHy5ev73F+m/cIK/sRfKL53KB6zYdml6/3Y6B6kW YAFQq1017/k6NEpi5PbeG1YZwGoTKNcbgiT5oEvUOmgfzZhRTdEgTtz7jlGdK2aaMi6F mAqWnWzT2T+Zi3NpMFIbKaffUATDzQRlUsCFA=
You don't sound like a troll... just someone who has been around a long
time and is used to doing it all themselves.
I think people do care... but there is a lot more specialisation now...
it's like medicne.... an ENT specialist doesn't know much about the legs...
but because he has specialised, he has furthered the research and solutions
in ENT. Same in technology, people are specialists, and not everyone has to
re-invent the wheel.
There are those that care, and those that care but are specialising in
areas where they can't impact the OS level decision...
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/02/12 20:42, Rod Butcher wrote:
> > Are there any things they can't do or can't connect to/interface with,
> > which other proprietary systems can ?
> Not really, all there are lots of things it can't do that an open system
> Like logging in as root. Or, y'know, compiling the whole OS from source.
> Sadly, people these days don't care and this post will be ignored.
> Amazingly enough, not even technical or otherwise FOSS–loving people
> seem to care. Blah blah pragmatism blah blah works well enough. Nothing
> about principles.
> Wow, I sound like RMS. Or a troll–like version. Didn't think that day
> would come.
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html