SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Affordable wireless AP hardware to support 30+ connections
- To: Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Affordable wireless AP hardware to support 30+ connections
- From: Tom Worthington <tom.worthington@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 08:35:41 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d= messagingengine.com; h=message-id:date:from:mime-version:to:cc :subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; s=smtpout; bh=dZT46qS7XPO3LZ+Uz++uKt k5kVE=; b=gqsPmNslhN09BkctYogULueQTOI1ZlY7KagCg5d2lJAbAFWMcl7+wH aMDpZaMf8nQx4NVcajrRHmw3fRNrTPEyY4RXE1GZYym2SoL8i4IKEi6GurfnI+Tm gBy8OiRcqZErcN22Cit1Se6w70jX1XOvOYYjVA8cJP7bDcuMgG5F4=
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20110922 Thunderbird/3.1.15
On 05/11/11 15:34, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
On 4 November 2011 08:28, Tom Worthington<tom.worthington@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
... $64 D-Link DIR-600 worked reasonably well ... re-flash it with DD-WRT ...
I think that flashing is beyond what can be reasonably expected of a teacher.
Yes, I found it difficult. But perhaps you could set it up so the
teacher does not have to choose any options or set any parameters. They
would plug the router in and run a program which set it up.
We only distribute XOs to teachers to pass our online learning course
[http://laptop.moodle.com.au/].However, we've learnt the hard way
that the course is not short teachers won't do it. Our base-line
course is 10 hours. ...
Ten hours is not what I would call a very short course. Perhaps if the
teachers got formal recognition for the course (along the lines of the
Queensland scheme) that would be an added incentive.
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia http://www.tomw.net.au
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/