Re: [SLUG] Affordable wireless AP hardware to support 30+ connections

Just heard some discussion about two Mesh network projects... there may be some relevant stuff:
<http://villagetelco.org/mesh-potato/>
and
<http://blogs.flinders.edu.au/flinders-news/2011/08/31/support-brings-network-less-mobiles-closer-to-reality/>

With the Sugar environment, do all laptops connect to the access point or is it a mesh where traffic is relayed or tunnelled through one connection, and it is only the internet requests that go through the access point?

Marghanita
Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
Some fantastic information in this thread - thanks guys.

Right now I'm just looking for a simple appliance that I can recommend
to teachers. This would invariably be purchased on their own budget
and set up by them, so it needs to be relatively affordable and simple
to set up. Our schools are in remote areas, so technical expertise is
hard to come by. If I were doing it, I'd be using something like
DD-WRT or Tomato, but that's beyond I can expect from a
non/less-technical person.

I've had luck with TP-Link devices in the past, so Dave's suggestion
might work (sans DD-WRT though).

A challenge is that the Sugar environment that the XOs use generate a
lot of multicast traffic, which they use for collaboration (XMPP).
This can push some routers to their limits.

The Netgear WG302 seems to be pretty popular, and I've seen it being
used in some schools (albeit, not for so many clients). According to
the product information
[http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1078], it has
"Support for up to 64 users". I'm sceptical, but even if you halve
that you have enough capacity to service a classroom. They're somewhat
on the expensive side, but better to have something that works
reliably.

Any thoughts?

--
Marghanita da Cruz