Re: [SLUG] Huawei E585 pocket-wifi on vodafone network?

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a Huawei E585 pocket wifi device on Ubuntu
> 11.04. The device has a USB pid/vid of 12d1:1446 and network-manager
> simply doesn't recognise it.

This device is rather confusing. When plugged into the machine
lsusb says:

   12d1:1446 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E1552 (HSPA modem)

but printed on the actual case is Huawei E585.

By default it comes up as a USB mass storage device when plugged
in. It then needs some magic incantation send via usb_modeswitch
to actually switch it into modem mode.

Unfortunately, while I have found magic incantations[0] for other
modems, I have not been able to find any for this particular device.

I am therefore going to suggest to the own of said device that they
take it back to Vodafone and get it replaced with something that
actually works on Linux.

Erik

[0] http://www.blah-blah.ch/Mra/HuaweiUmts

Erik de Castro Lopo