[SLUG] Addressbook and Calendar apps

what are people using for TODO, address book and calendar  now that PalmOS
is just about dead?  I've tried evolution, but it wants to be an email
client as well (and I can't work out how to merge duplicate contacts,
and the addressbook interface sucks a bit: it shows too much info, and
takes up too much screen real-estate.  It also tends to crash a lot)

My requirements:
  Both:
   Sync via syncml and caldav (for iPad and android phone, laptop and desktops)
   small and fast
   no requirement for cloud computing
  Contacts:
   Easy integration with calendar and notes, to allow setting up
   appointments, and logging interactions
  Calendar:
   Ability to have floating appointments that start at a time, and
   recur until marked `done'
   Ability to link to contacts from appointments (this is more of a
   concern on the handheld -- when the handheld tells you, `phone
   Fred' I want to be able to get Fred's contact details really easily)

I'm currently exploring pimlical on the Android.  But I need something
for laptop and desktop.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia