Re: [SLUG] Hacked email

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 12:23:18 +1000, Darren Gibbs <dazzagibbs@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> My old email account, dagibbs@xxxxxxxxx, has been hacked and stolen -
>> unfortunately, the mongrel who stole it also changed all the recovery
>> information so I can't recover it.
>
> My suggestion is to fill this form out ASAP. Any of your online accounts
> that use dagibbs@xxxxxxxxx could reset your password at will.
>
> <http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/request.py?ara=1>

Done that.

Twice.

Unfortunately, the b****rd who hacked the account changes all the
password recovery questions - which means I am S.O.L - Google says "We
can't verify who you are" - Christ, it's been 10 years since I started
using Gmail, how am I supposed to remember the date? Or the invite
time and date?

This is a common problem, apparently
(http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=448bef23d1e8f4f9&hl=en),
and Google's security measures, quite frankly, SUCK. You set a
password recovery mechanism, and then let it be *changed* without the
criteria being met - so if someone hacks your password, they can
simply *change* everything which might identify you - and then they
say "We can't verify who you are", and you are 100% screwed.

If Hotmail didn't suck so badly, I'd move to that.

DaZZa