SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Hacked email
- To: Jeremy Visser <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Hacked email
- From: DaZZa <dazzagibbs@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:17:06 +1000
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=KuvnxUOB5TxhSGpEBGDA1pvTf/uBDXT5Q35lJ+b2ets=; b=NLgzLiaQA0/6Dvv3FHwvkaxBcMz0bqa8Pb2eRgBfZlxNMxFuo60EAMMVKvSAsXs5nB B0U/wH8shlIQIuWrW3zBqITPVFHLnPoONMBTLdQ/0WIYrxZToSWqdqcwXxr19s8VWQO3 /CUjGpJzk24TIeGDqUYlT+Ao5MINDBZeoK70A=
On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 12:23:18 +1000, Darren Gibbs <dazzagibbs@xxxxxxxxx>
>> My old email account, dagibbs@xxxxxxxxx, has been hacked and stolen -
>> unfortunately, the mongrel who stole it also changed all the recovery
>> information so I can't recover it.
> My suggestion is to fill this form out ASAP. Any of your online accounts
> that use dagibbs@xxxxxxxxx could reset your password at will.
Unfortunately, the b****rd who hacked the account changes all the
password recovery questions - which means I am S.O.L - Google says "We
can't verify who you are" - Christ, it's been 10 years since I started
using Gmail, how am I supposed to remember the date? Or the invite
time and date?
This is a common problem, apparently
and Google's security measures, quite frankly, SUCK. You set a
password recovery mechanism, and then let it be *changed* without the
criteria being met - so if someone hacks your password, they can
simply *change* everything which might identify you - and then they
say "We can't verify who you are", and you are 100% screwed.
If Hotmail didn't suck so badly, I'd move to that.