SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] KDE gui package manger in Debian
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] KDE gui package manger in Debian
- From: Steven Tucker <tuxta2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:57:47 +1000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com.au; s=s1024; t=1309420673; bh=IGJkU5vNdKL67xVb1d/KiGMGJIGJK/bN4/id+wooSQQ=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=pMNkubV9X15xCjLOqZLMTQBCxvinfjCgFyrqwL8dGJr2mV6NW+dJImiKvgKj+c9brilGJzYQgB7P/JqdyaymYteb1aWDPKQwHI26eNejfa2ewofThUSs+dn9Wah3TA2SgQKx5+FfU0YiqOLVJPQ4lNWs6Xwf1rwLsS97/cLNr24=
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20110424 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.10
quick background to problem:
My son (6 yrs old) has been running Ubuntu for over a year, he keeps it
up to date and installs games himself through the use of software center.
As he has been an independent user capable of selecting and installing
the software *he* wants, it would be very sad if he had to start relying
So now we come to the problem ..... with the inevitable move to from
gnome2 to Unity or Gnome3, we looked at what environment he might like
to choose. He decided he would like to use KDE, which may have been
influenced by the fact that it is the choice I made, but never the less
that is what he has chosen.
For some reason there is a huge issue with Kubuntu and his hardware that
I have given up trying to fix, so I have installed Debian (wheezy) and
we both absolutely love it. The problem is it does not come with
something like software center on KDE, and he is not about to start
using apt! (least not till next year).
Synaptic is not as simple as software center, I have read that there are
issues getting software center running on Debian Wheezy, and if at all
possible I would prefer a Qt/KDE solution.
I have seen online Muon, which looks exactly like what I am after, easy
software selection, integrated update notifier etc. But is not yet in
Has anyone else come across this issue and found a suitable solution?
We are sticking with KDE, are open to changing distro (but prefer not
to) and would like relatively up to date software but not bleeding edge
(so probably not Fedora or at the other end Debian stable).
Thanks in advance