SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Article, Linux, APC.
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Article, Linux, APC.
- From: onlyjob <onlyjob@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:20:03 +1000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date :message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=2atgnl8bPK1l/W94EdKR5ay5zyfLiAlmwqSAo1HPn5A=; b=q/T9OEtuwgrRj6l7nQZaafnPHlfLhJwWVNza4s2GtstH1mQTO5mzLeWyRhNRKaG/Es lWSvDfQNghT0EKcUXBRZ8J6fE4Svr3+Y/01nngISik5R7Wf0sC7i/5m5AruDsB7aIowP bWCXh+2WL7EWwKc+QVIzoZ8HV6twdPv+f5P5E=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; b=WmRR6mwVCdZDizSWz82edlRUmDsSPn2AWvdVgFaKW0xK0l+ldx4DFba4aeWuh98tT8 gArvf7Y1Z5R2VD757bhku8a9OAgmYMV0ds7t9O+O0tvunSjO8RTFPI5Ev3kiHEnbIdnd jOGmXNRy6j4WR6zUBA64SZ2bn/mHqep+8OaCA=
That's right Eric, I'm with you.
There are many other problems with Apple notably Banning of GPL and
I'm quite concerned about proliferation of proprietary software.
No matter what software we can willingly choose, Australian public schools
have to use Microsoft's software which our silly government bought for
It is sad to realize that Venezuela is ahead of us in that regards.
On 23 June 2011 12:22, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+slug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David Lyon wrote:
> > It's not so much that Linux is dead, but rather it is perhaps finished.
> > The computers 'to-die-for' now, are no longer the Windows machines
> > but the Android and Apple computers.
> > Clearly, they both are Linux derivates. So in a way, commercial Linux
> > won out.
> > There's little that really can be done on an activism front. Because
> > that is just appstore or whatever they call it.
> The activisim actually needs to be stepped up.
> The linux people like myself who fled windows in the mid 1990s did
> so for reasons of Freedom.
> Apple and its Apple appstore is an even more constrained and shackled
> garden than windows ever was.
> I'm using Linux instead of Apple because:
> a) I don't like the fact that hardware that runs Apple's OS is
> only available from one manufacturer. This sitution is bad
> for consumers, because Apple can charge consumers however
> much they like.
> b) Apple's move to control everything that runs on their hardware
> is bad for software developers because Apple has control over
> what software is and is not presented to Apple's customers.
> That means the software developer has to toe Apples line or
> face being removed from the appstore.
> c) Apple's move to control everything that runs on their hardware
> is bad for a whole bunch of freedom related issues. Apple has
> in the recent past blocked gay and lesbian ebook literature
> from the appstore. Who the fsck made Apple the gate keepers
> to what can and cannot be read?
> Quite honestly anyone who runs Apple hardware and software should
> take a really good think about the logical conclusions to Apples
> rapidly increasing market share because there will come a time
> where removing Apple from the top rank will be far, far harder than
> the removal of Microsoft.
> PS : Eben Moglen is well worth watching:
> Erik de Castro Lopo
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html