Re: [SLUG] Re: detecting hard drive failure ?

On Sat, November 13, 2010 8:32 am, peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Can you use SMART?
> Also, the main problem I've seen has been random bit-flips in the RAM
> before writing to disk, to solve which you need end-to-end CRCs.

Peter, thanks

well, the NAS box has 'smart' in its web admin config
but I'm not sure how much access I get to it
when I first got it, I enabled daily or weekly smart test
all the tests were 100%
I then disabled the daily test as I wanted to see if that was the spike in
my cacti cpu graph
then one hard drive simply dissapeared

but according to ps ax, smartd is running

I still haven't pulled the NAS down, I can log to the web admin, and,
everything is supposedly OK; under "HDD SMART":

Monitor hard disk health, temperature, and usage status by the hard disk
S.M.A.R.T. mechanism.
Select Hard Disk [3]
    * Summary
    * Hard Disk Information
    * SMART Information
    * Test
    * Settings
Summary
Hard disk does not exist.
---------------------------------------

hmmmmm, above is what I *see*

but, when I copy/paste, it also has:

======================================
This is an error message!!!

Monitor hard disk health, temperature, and usage status by the hard disk
S.M.A.R.T. mechanism.
======================================

hmmm, is this the error message that I'm supposed to see ?

it doesn't show in FF/Chrome/IE

in ssg I get:

# uname -a
Linux NAS01 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Tue Sep 28 00:54:34 CST 2010 i686 unknown

# ps ax | grep smart
 2071 admin      1528 S   /sbin/qsmartd -d
18713 admin       580 S   grep smart

# smartctl
-sh: smartctl: command not found

# qsmartd --help
Usage: qsmartd [-d] [-o log_file] [-v] [-h]

Smart monitor daemon

  -d            --daemon                Running on daemon
  -o log_file   --output log_file       Save debug message in log_file
  -v            --versbose              Verbose mode
  -h            --help                  Help

--
Voytek