SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] A distro which recognises Wi-fi on Asus eee 1005p? -- thanks for suggestions
- To: slug <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] A distro which recognises Wi-fi on Asus eee 1005p? -- thanks for suggestions
- From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 06:08:08 +1000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=C5O6wrHMyjDtIstGU0cuMLBFz3VHSxpwRLhkcEQkQEA=; b=hElSB7CQXI5ZYJMVuwRfNUvRBYxJZcUniZmTsJWvAY/e25QNPSoFIU40AC4XOcObMx yumnozlSQEXpOP/LhHwH3YGia4kw998uW/9Pk+Vg2YPxxeI9Q5qA4cWVpc7KEdrEx9vy LUbwLXVwF2M5TSTn6QqjU6UeMn9An/mzbF6FU=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=IPPJe5Pgkq1Je3k9tovA/VfopBhCR8CwtSK914PhBRIrJ+0nXUBrmaln7fBZzShOdb bNxHTSZrx7oY/ADb8fKCx+jfUlBIccvT9KyaK5ZtYTovT+PsBKPPgE/iQIMxOUd3S61+ 7Qm/KoNxW8nhOSn3ff+yhEg+MQNSkqJ1ywmPw=
To the community.
Jon's experience probably really demonstrates why Linux isn't going to go
mainstream anytime soon. While I would say 90% of people are going to have
hardware that just works with the most current release of most distros, it
is the 10% that have issues that really stings.
Surely this hurdle needs to be overcome. With the likes of Canonical,
Redhat, Novell and the like wanting this to work surely there is a need for
some sort of integration centre that hardware vendors can submit their
gadgets for driver development assistance, and qualification? I know that
they do do some of these things and a lot of problems like video and
suspend/resume seem a lot more predicable.
Or is this simply never going to happen and we just need to put up with it
considering the effect of aggressive competition and the need to get new
stuff out there all the time.
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Jon Jermey <jonjermey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Puppeee did the trick! The eee 1005p is now talking to the world in Linux
> via wireless. Thanks, Kenneth!
> On 09/08/10 11:51, Kenneth Caldwell wrote:
>> You might also investigate Puppeee-1.0 released on August 7th.
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html