Re: [SLUG] today's scary thought

Jake Anderson <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 15/07/10 14:10, Matthew Hannigan wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:06:17PM +1000, Peter Chubb wrote:
>>
>>> You could do this with inotify, with `just a few' scripts around it.
>>>
>> Related: http://code.google.com/p/lsyncd/ drives rsyncing with inotify.
>
> Actually that looks like a fairly handy tool, I have been trying to work out
> the best way of keeping files in two offices in sync and drbd seemed like
> overkill

Keep in mind that using rsync like that has absolutely *zero* conflict
resolution support, so you are inviting the data-loss fairy to visit when
there are concurrent modifications.

DRBD, meanwhile, is useless without a cluster file-system on top of it, since
you otherwise can't mount the data at both sites at the same time.

Sadly, I can't right now advise a better solution than these, however, since
it is the main problem I face in trying to bridge two data-centers and provide
coherent and sensible file access.

The best I can offer, right now, is xtreemfs[1] which will give you fair
performance but no local caching, so no disconnected operation.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.xtreemfs.org/