Re: [SLUG] WordPress & sessions [Was: WordPress, PHP]

hi,

On 9 May 2010 09:30, Amos Shapira <amos.shapira@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 8 May 2010 15:48, Jeff Waugh <jdub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> <quote who="justin randell">
>> > was it a desire to use a non-file based store and an aversion to using
>> > custom session handlers? was it a desire to control the strength of the
>> > cookie hash?
>
> Without getting into WordPress or the session storage options it
> provides - In principle I'd prefer none-file-based permanent session
> store simply to allow multiple front server to share the load of
> serving any session from any server.
>
> This usually leads to client-server style databases or things like
> memcachedb in redundant configuration.

yes, every time i see a load-balanced setup with sticky sessions, i
cringe. "i know, now that we've eliminated our single points of
failure, lets do extra work to bring a SPOF back into our redundant
setup."

in drupal land, there's been a bit of interest in mongo db for session
(and other) storage, as a lot more of the backend in drupal 7 is
pluggable. some of the people working on porting examiner.com to
drupal 7 released this, which includes using a mongodb session store:

http://drupal.org/project/mongodb

i'm not sold on replacing relational dbs for most things yet, but a
key-value session store seems like a good fit.

cheers
justin