SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Net send for linux
- To: Daryl Thompson <daryl.francis.thompson@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Net send for linux
- From: Nick Andrew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 00:21:24 +1000
- Cc: "slug@xxxxxxxxxxx" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- User-agent: Mutt/1.5.18 (2008-05-17)
On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 11:37:18PM +1000, Daryl Thompson wrote:
> Is there a Linux equivalent network messaging command like 'NET SEND' in
> That is i want to be able to send messages to all and individual
> computers on the local network.
You want to send messages to computers on your LAN or you want to send
messages to people using computers on your LAN?
People using computers can run an Instant Messaging client which listens
for Bonjour / Avahi messages over the LAN and so you can chat with them.
Alternately regarding the Windows Messenger service, Wikipedia says:
Messenger Service port to linux:
Although it seems not too useful: the Messenger Service was provided
in only certain versions of Windows: from WfWG 3.1 to Windows ME, but
never Windows NT based systems. It was disabled by default in XP SP2
due to rampant spamming over the internet, and has been removed from
Vista and Windows Server 2008!