SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] RAID and LVM
- To: Nigel Allen <dna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] RAID and LVM
- From: Jake Anderson <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:00:04 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Thunderbird 220.127.116.11 (X11/20090817)
Nigel Allen wrote:
I want to set up a pair of 1 TB drives on an HP DL145 G3 and I'm
looking for suggestions as to the best way to partition them.
Would I be best using software RAID and LVM? Given that it's a fairly
busy machine (mail server for 40+ users) I'd like to achieve:
3) Ease of maintenance.
Anyone care to take a punt at a layout?
I wouldn't bother with LVM.
Personally I'd set up a 3 disk raid 5 and just partition onto it
directly, if you want more room (not likley with 1Tb drives) you can
grow the raid 5 array rather than needing to add on another array and
join it onto the end.