SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] RAID and LVM
- To: Nigel Allen <dna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] RAID and LVM
- From: Dean Hamstead <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:00:09 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mozilla-Thunderbird 184.108.40.206 (X11/20091109)
Regardless of the method used, with two drives you either get speed or
reliability, you dont get both.
You either mirror (reliability) or stripe (speed).
Nigel Allen wrote:
I want to set up a pair of 1 TB drives on an HP DL145 G3 and I'm looking
for suggestions as to the best way to partition them.
Would I be best using software RAID and LVM? Given that it's a fairly
busy machine (mail server for 40+ users) I'd like to achieve:
3) Ease of maintenance.
Anyone care to take a punt at a layout?