SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Wireless Broadband for Net Book
- To: Tim Bayfield <Tim.Bayfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Wireless Broadband for Net Book
- From: Piers Rowan <piers.rowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:12:42 +0930
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Thunderbird 184.108.40.206 (X11/20090817)
Tim Bayfield wrote:
Can anyone advise if there is a USB Wireless Broadband device from any
of the ISPs which will work with a PC based Net Book running Linux?
Telstra Series 7.
You need to turn off the device's functionality as a thumb drive and not
as a modem.
From here (and other places):
*You can try the following steps:
1. on WinVista through control panel ADD the extra init command
2. try to connect once with the providers s/w (WinVista)
3. remove the above command through control panel (WinVista)
Sending this command to the device is essential to un-paperweight it:
Then you have to make sure that usb_serial is loaded for the device.
Then just plug it in (to Ubuntu) and it gets found and enter your pin
and you're off.
We use these for all our staff's laptops running ubuntu.
Big Note: DO THIS:::: **AT+ZCDRUN=8 first (and only once).
Sounds a pain but it should only be done once.