SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Petabytes on a budget
- To: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Petabytes on a budget
- From: Mark Walkom <markwalkom@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:37:58 +1000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=UcrscmZKyqYgQ5nw+CdXpNCHb6qN3rFNQ9Q4yiVqj0M=; b=P/K8vrJ1p7wCgZvjAwgE1V4h+R8gerJEgfID7iun2O5G1k6ik+/ZwIxUxL11YTN9Pi k/IndxBGLL3PrSBpfidEAye/zIfYJAYdsgesNulHHC1bneVYOY+TT8FRqzXwLWEH8BiZ N9qCtY1lSzZG2LqRgIBlBtgr0FRxKYSaPeGO4=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=mJSf3vZTA8YbEkEyERJC+C78BSP/bZtBTB6YPVwQ5qLmuAXW9AGU2doRh7WFjqcQGP BsNdFBa8M+DssGO4C5J4C+b6B67OTh9a8vKyiNl/nNzu70s7FUhLfhiFm9tMwKIoJbI4 TTzVpDAzagAXTOMVNadDaOVKWxMsa+4TNdmqg=
I was thinking the same, but I reckon because they are just backing
up/archiving data it wouldn't be too bad.
ie They aren't looking for huge performance, just huge, cheap storage.
2009/9/3 Morgan Storey <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I know I am a geek but that is hot.
> I am wondering if they see any throughput issues with the sata backplanes
> and pci sata cards.
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Phil Scarratt <fil@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thought people might find this interesting. It doesn't get to the cloud
> > bit, but describes the building block they use.
> > Petabytes on a budget:
> > How to build cheap cloud storage
> > At Backblaze, we provide unlimited storage to our customers for only $5
> > per month, so we had to figure out how to store hundreds of petabytes of
> > customer data in a reliable, scalable way—and keep our costs low. After
> > looking at several overpriced commercial solutions, we decided to build
> > our own custom Backblaze Storage Pods: 67 terabyte 4U servers for $7,867.
> > --
> > Phil Scarratt
> > Draxsen Technologies
> > m: 0403 531 271
> > --
> > The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will
> > insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
> > - Terry Pratchett
> > --
> > SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> > Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html