SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Synchronizing from Windows to Linux
- To: Matthew Hannigan <mlh@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Synchronizing from Windows to Linux
- From: Andre Kolodochka <koloda@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 12:48:45 +1000
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=rchiPKOOJmIb4XHvum3csAdiPrvvYyQ3i9GKGGii2Z0=; b=p3sn8w1sGoArPMN9bkwquM8QICn5bNE0L3IREjwGG4hLSS7fww+d176LUl/cnnKaYG izSJlTTwqaMKYmKz0XDczW2cPjVGySRNnxsYa04m8oEV+WwTeu1Hyi2sYJKnH7L07dBW 25fCeUr4KY8PCrNebb/7D5hLLMhYOjM8EZWCc=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=DoMuIL3jTTLW+ZFuEcIZ5c0FhU9zkTMheOLi1J67ri25d9jXmNtpZIOIodmsxZw7cF HvwVkr+3MYiCGpbRenP/duBRIpnRSmiyRYskLr71W9fugntfaxAzEF64Ql8SZ+RU9ZwH SzZTsy6HjAIQnuXT/O9S8bPwdrAFx8WDjBNWg=
What's the difference? I have "My Documents" (or any other directory
with precious files) with all subfolders, which I want to be also
stored somewhere else, so when my drive blows up I can get all that
stuff back. And any changes in any file under My Documents should be
reflected in the copy on remote server when I do run some sync tool.
When I had a network drive, I simply used MS SyncToy to sync with a
directory on networked drive. I also use rsync at work to copy the
changes that were done overnight to files on remote RH box and copy
them over to local Centos server. So I thought rsync Windows client
sort of tool might do the job, that's why I mentioned rsync.
FTP might work, but I haven't seen tools that would ftp in and compare
the whole tree on remote host and local drive and replicate the
changes. Although I've found Synchromagic
(http://www.gelosoft.com/adescr.html) today, will try that.
2009/5/27 Matthew Hannigan <mlh@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Well, do you want just to do backups or are you looking for something
> Your original mail mentioned only backups in the body (as I recall)
> but you use the "synchronising" in the subject line.