Re: [SLUG] Proprietary colour names (was GIMP was...)

Andrew Cowie wrote:
On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 15:53 +0100, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
... much better than it was but some sort of Pantone colour integration would be good (eventually). An open source version of that would need to be implemented.

Which is what the hold up is, at least as I understand it.

The Pantone colour palate (specifically their name-to-ink-colour
mappings) is Pantone's proprietary intellectual property and they have
chosen not to let them be used in libre ways.

Hi Andrew,

The PANTONE CMS gamut is wider than CMYK or RGB. Since there's no
way of accurately displaying PANTONE colours on a RGB screen or
CMYK page PANTONE will still sell their swatch cards.

I can understand that PANTONE can trademark their mixed ink names.
I can understand that PANTONE may patent the inks themselves.
But I don't understand how using that trademarked name to identify
the ink mix product breaches trademark law.  Otherwise I'd better
start asking sales assistants for their "Kola nut carbonated drink"
rather than "Cola-Cola(TM)".

I'd be more than happy if PANTONE support consisted of a box asking
for the text of the PANTONE colour, the RGB I'd like to use to
display that on the screen and the CMYK I'd like to use when printing
drafts.

In practice, that would work by choosing a colour from the swatch,
and entering it's name. Then hold the swatch to the screen until a
good RGB match is found. Press a button to test print a gamut
surrounding that RGB match, hold the test print to the swatch,
enter the corresponding CMYK digits against the best match. Remember
that only one or two spot colours are usually used. And this
procedure automatically calibrates the screen and printer for
the spot colour.

Then the software need not carry the trademarked names, nor name-to-RGB,
nor name-to-CMYK mappings.  In fact, such software wouldn't be specific
to the PANTONE CMS at all.  Which, it seems, would serve PANTONE right.

Cheers, Glen

--
 Glen Turner