Re: lshal, gnome-device-manager, was Re: [SLUG] hot swapping hard drives

<quote who="david">

> lshal is PERFECT and I didn't know it existed. Much nicer than the gnome
> version. Having said that, why did Ubuntu take it out?

Given that it is only a diagnostic tool and serves no other purpose (and we
have lshal anyway), it lost out during one of the difficult "we have two
days until release and we need to shave 1MB off the ISO image" (or it won't
fit on a CD-ROM) discussions.

(From memory, that was just one release before g-d-m was rewritten in C and
had more useful device management functions added -> it's now much smaller!)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2010: Wellington, NZ       http://www.penguinsvisiting.org.nz/

     Broken hearts rarely come with "Some Assembly Required" stickers.