Re: [SLUG] chmod probs.

On Saturday 11 April 2009 00:06:56 slug-request@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[snip]
> > What am I missing?
>
> find(1), which is used to locate a list of files matching a given set of
> criteria, allowing you to do something like this:
>
>   chmod -R 644 `find -name '*.jpg'`
>
> (Note the single-quotes around the glob pattern?  Without that the shell
>  would expand the pattern, which would cause a syntax error for the find
>  command, and not do what you want.)
>
> There is a limit to the number of arguments you can pass to chmod,
> though, so it is generally speaking better to structure that like this:
>
>   find -name '*.jpg' | xargs chmod -R 644
>
> That falls apart if any of your filenames have spaces in them, though,
> since xargs splits on *any* whitespace; to work around that use:
>
>   find -name '*.jpg' -print0 | xargs -0 chmod -R 644
>
> See the manual pages for the fine detail, obviously.

Um sure, but in this context too complicated IMHO
find . -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;

which does what he said he wanted to do without fussing about jpgs etc
"I have a bunch of directories with a bunch of files (pictures) in each.
I want to set directories to 775 and files to 664."

James