SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] fast hashing/checksumming tool
- To: Dave Kempe <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] fast hashing/checksumming tool
- From: Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 23:38:18 +1100
- Cc: slug <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
2009/2/24 Dave Kempe <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I need to checksum recursively alot of data, and store the checksums in a
> database. I can do most via a shell script, but was wondering if anyone
> could recommend a checksumming tool that was the fastest.
> I know about md5sum, sha1sum, cfv (not recursive enough). I want to be able
> to produce a checksum of many files (2.1TB worth) for verification against
> other copies of the files in various locations. I need the fastest available
> algorithm, not necessarily the most secure etc.
> Any suggestions?
sum and cksum do basic checksums and don't try to be incredibly secure.
md4 is used by some p2p networks and rsync.
Bring choice back to your computer.