Re: [SLUG] How to get files off hard drive?

Leslie Katz wrote:
Computer A, an old computer, was running Fedora 9. It had two hard drives. Unawares, when I installed Fedora 9, I set things up using Logical Volume Management.

Computer A will no longer boot up. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the fan over the CPU doesn't run.

I got computer B, another old computer, going, running Ubuntu 8.10. It has a single hard drive and no facility to add a second.

I hoped to be able to get data off the two old hard drives, in particular, photographs. I got a gadget that allowed me to plug an IDE drive into a USB port. I removed one of the old drives from computer A and attached it to computer B via the gadget.

When I run fdisk -l on computer B, I'm told that the attached drive is sdb1.

However, I can't mount sdb1. When I try, I get the message "unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'".

Does that mean that there's no way for me to get the data from computer A's drives to computer B?

Thanks for reading this.

Leslie

You need to install the stuff to handle LVM in ubuntu, as i recall it doesn't come with it by default. if you spanned the LVM over both disks you will probably need to have both of them connected to use the volume effectively.

If you can get the fan spinning again it'd probably be enough to get the other one to boot.