Re: [SLUG] Ask SLUG - IP Telephony

Gonzalo Servat <gservat@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Daniel Pittman <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> [..snip..]
>>
>> Actually, out of curiosity, and since I want to get rid of Asterisk and
>> replace it with something (anything, so help me, anything at all) else.
>>
>> FreeSWITCH is popular at the moment; the only other convincing option
>> I have run across is yate.
>>
>> So, dear lazyweb, can you tell me:
>>
>> Have you actually used FreeSWITCH or YATE in a small SIP-only environment?
>> Did it work well, reliably and with minimal maintenance?
>
> Yes. It works reliably and I haven't touched it for weeks.

Thanks.  How difficult was the initial configuration, and does that
include ENUM or other policy routing?

>> Did it work effectively as an answering machine for home?
>
> That's how I'm using it right now and it does everything I need. I
> coded the IVR in Lua since it doesn't have a made up language like the
> AEL (eeek).  Instead, you can code your IVR in Javascript, Lua,
> Python, Perl, etc.
>
> It does have a bit of a learning curve, but it's worth it.

Mmmmm.  Is there an "out of the box" solution to that need, or just the
ability to build one?  I can, I suppose, put one together, but something
that just worked(tm) would be nice...

> Check out #freeswitch on irc.freenode.net.

I appreciate the suggestion, but it is lacks much appeal for me; I strongly
dislike IRC as a mechanism for technical discussion.

Is IRC considered the standard mechanism for FreeSWITCH support?

Regards,
        Daniel