SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Apps hanging when writing to /dev/log
- To: Jeremy Visser <jeremy.visser@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Apps hanging when writing to /dev/log
- From: Tony Sceats <tony.sceats@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 22:15:24 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=EOxOHgTfYPyT2oql7jEjlNd6K0cR8pWqoajhgadmR9o=; b=FfqBKVOrBaNcD7DBrgopzrpAP3vCcgy4OWqrhHD2uW5j8zCsgn1zuhLbx4vxDGuN39 l//wBQd3698EmtvHqjWFpbxDjcynDb3yYj+9Gnn6BbrcbYnLdxXdSbmokvvXogL8DRVH Gv+Zn4yR+Y67+A/xjDfCQGA6GJI9o0fLIbLPU=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; b=jYsfQSQlLncMxTPg4C5X+hbrtKDpLW4wNGcJbKCRozIjQtLQmQv6LOEm8qhrvaMY5N MtxLdPRAdmMt0p5ZUU736Acoc+bgaz2rYP3ssNYaUccWuTZfCkLZwtljuvhu+GtTt5BN CMfLRSQPiPlqgWYqS7zJe298rvwgqdKvIOof4=
maybe there's an open write lock on /dev/log that keeps the send() hanging?
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy.visser@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> On 02/02/2009, at 11:56 AM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> That should let you see which syscalls were delaying the process, and so
>> narrow it down to a specific set of options...
> Did you read my post 30/01/09 7:14PM? It was basically a running commentary
> of it, as I was watching the strace, not just logging it to a file.
> The actual syslogd daemon did not appear to be locked up. It didn't even
> hang when I sent a normal HUP to it -- it quits cleanly.
> Just the socket communication between apps and /dev/log seems to be hanging
> (though killing syslogd stops the hanging).
> As for the actual apps that hang as a result of the dead communication,
> they hang on send(), when writing the log message.
> It's strange that they hang on send(). connect('/dev/log'), which is what
> I'd expect them to hang on, returns instantly.
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html