SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Apps hanging when writing to /dev/log
- To: Daniel Pittman <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Apps hanging when writing to /dev/log
- From: Jeremy Visser <jeremy.visser@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:39:14 +1100
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:cc:message-id:from:to :in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version :subject:date:references:x-pgp-agent:x-mailer; bh=FrhYn/Hv6U7Vj4KuMK4vJfGJ+IFNVoDj4utrHjUuvgI=; b=j2L5mkPy1Ri8S9yi8q0fCrY9fWD3jg+1MHBWuWWWzDA0KQPTei7TJicKoYdCB5e08N qdmgSmyxyxibvAZaRQJnBRYqQhTw9Lfh4BWz88axyKhWWrGGXxZ9xHX5lbkfDnyy7+sI s6CqDEbe0H7Mnk6WwcEK8eMg1sVoMXu96yf+8=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=cc:message-id:from:to:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject:date:references :x-pgp-agent:x-mailer; b=pH03GhIbuCKhX19Ti7wT+xHcrcKY7KI0ZNzLF2N7WRxaGm5i39dj4tuBd4uAq0ekC/ 6tIGNVgRALSLSfqQFHPSIy+ZyvM6jsWOihSIBJaxyAsohy41w572JGXJKjYuHB7vMDpp IXY5HbhAStiT3jtkZh7qSqSEYE+deKUb1beY8=
On 02/02/2009, at 11:56 AM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
That should let you see which syscalls were delaying the process,
narrow it down to a specific set of options...
Did you read my post 30/01/09 7:14PM? It was basically a running
commentary of it, as I was watching the strace, not just logging it to
The actual syslogd daemon did not appear to be locked up. It didn't
even hang when I sent a normal HUP to it -- it quits cleanly.
Just the socket communication between apps and /dev/log seems to be
hanging (though killing syslogd stops the hanging).
As for the actual apps that hang as a result of the dead
communication, they hang on send(), when writing the log message.
It's strange that they hang on send(). connect('/dev/log'), which is
what I'd expect them to hang on, returns instantly.
Description: This is a digitally signed message part