SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Distro for fast web browsing on old machine.
- To: Ben <shadroth@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Distro for fast web browsing on old machine.
- From: "James Polley" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 00:54:10 +1100
- Cc: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=WjK5pJldK22q6QW5Vj1pvxfwFrjP4SBk2Ky2hKFn4y0=; b=HIfnf843OwI//pBhHgn8s4+HFYr0sEpyIJ8WfDdJTHwG3DgU4QICwwXsS7pyT8v8Ph CAmsd6zyTrGwX8eSqChk9wnQ0T8YcYZyiHbQTJXKEBP88GutmIf29SMGgGdpViW3ze3a rL2aDgIEC1+CInAST4hruNqBqy7A8o+7TAo1E=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=RY45vKyCxhvB9krxuSG4wcxqMX/fgIcPAq8KXQ0co+qhCAFLBw90yDQp5A+4murCF8 JlcDOCy7Fc8NI/Xv671lbANiUs0C1AuutUKz+iGPDTFxc6qMY1YC4Tj79+VItBbhtE5/ jg62c+AXVfdPJI6qJ+ijvAK65HwhS41ldccvg=
It would be helpful to know more about what's causing the problems
with the distros you've tried. Is it a runaway processing chewing CPU?
Is it the browser itself chewing CPU? How is the RAM situation - is it
full (and consequently spending a lot of time swapping)? If it is -
how much is free before you start Firefox? How much is Firefox using?
A tool like sar will help a lot with this kind of analysis - but just
keeping a window open running "top" can give you a good idea as well.
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Ben <shadroth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Looking for a distro that does web browsing really well with the
> following specs (or a way to make Ubuntu behave).
> I have a Celeron ~1.6GHz machine, 512MiB RAM, 80GB HDD.
> Ubuntu 8.04 and now 8.10 both grind almost to a halt when Firefox is
> running. (I think 8.10 is actually worse). There is plenty of free
> memory - 200+
> Happens with one window open or with many. Other browsers are no
> better - tried Opera, same issues.
> CPU just hits 100% and just grinds away.
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html