SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] ls lists numbers, not owner names
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] ls lists numbers, not owner names
- From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:58:34 +1100
- Organization: I know I put it down here, somewhere.
- User-agent: Gnus/5.110006 (No Gnus v0.6) Emacs/23.0.60 (gnu/linux)
"Voytek Eymont" <lists@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I'm trying to fix my failed clam install, and, just noticed, when I list
> certain files, I get owner/group not as names, but, as numbers;
> what is that trying to tell me ?
The entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group that map the UID 104 and
the GID 105 to names have been removed.
 Technically, the entries returned by nsswitch, which can include
other sources such as LDAP or NIS, in addition to or instead of the
traditional files; for the "system" UID/GID space, which these are
in, it is almost always local files.