SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Prefered video card for Linux dual-head?
- To: "Amos Shapira" <amos.shapira@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Prefered video card for Linux dual-head?
- From: Masood <masoodbeh@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:12:40 +1000
- Cc: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=C1O+JxWmezqGEpWuSY5EwdZCr1Zd2DqWiFcjiXCM1Vw=; b=AyE/Zmj2DuIanFoR1SAV9kDtIhz98mpJA+7Es6ebbgigbJnP2jt5GENScUkEARrI5o yRfdFuKC0lEWo2LCCza2IXfsKGa6nYZPlVyjV8Nackk3/bl+fv2GKQedDGLppgKtVoZ0 xT4/eWRZVapNqwfw7JatHVnwjqxZuVS0Q7DDw=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:references; b=YcmYN/AWENP8yaFpqtZoCHb0WG5S9y6J3DQHgs8dTaZb+4SYCsALzS4bfdczifIC/a X44vYlCl/1hSQZu8fiOd/hgS7UB+qiupJvpWkSsazyr4dgkXDtjH0YF9ucrjj2ktK12O SfSY9V/hxQhgv5uDEc5cj5SGDC2kixitQoOWk=
I have a NVIDIA 8500 on my Hardy and it works fine in dual-monitor mode. I
hate the fact the driver is proprietary but so is AMD's. As Lloyd mentioned,
I too had very bad experience with AMD's drivers on Ubuntu. I think AMD
graphic cards are better tech-wise but their support in GNU/Linux is not so
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Amos Shapira <amos.shapira@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> My boss bought second-hand extra monitors for all of us and I now need
> to buy a graphics card which can support dual-head for Debian/Ubuntu
> (and Windows XP and Vista).
> Since there are always swings around about "best linux support" which
> I didn't follow, what's the order of the day? Should go with nVidia,
> AMD or maybe Intel? Any specific card families/models?
> The computers are a mix of older (2-3 years?) to new (2 months old),
> so the system bus might be a bit limited too.
> I don't need to run games or anything too fancy - just plain
> programming/surfing and remote desktop, though support for Compiz
> would be a nice bonus.
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html