SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Processor Profiler
- To: "SLUG List" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Processor Profiler
- From: "Lindsay Holmwood" <lindsay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:17:07 +1000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=EsH4Cwl7R9PPwG4onisAcpwQeegpsvc02kzhvIEgs4c=; b=LYdOeXF5LuFSen44GyGTPb3590k/06LHRpXvjqVatad5zIsD7s1dJPZ9rGMRwjvXSL LHwnx99d6urgL/Mqx9zb+XuTgRwjqvIdIW2y5wRYPzd1EuHDR1wN0tKGW2Ij1jkZ0vrt YFxZQjEQXx6N0EC4pg5bDBsKdK86HGaMMUSBM=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=HnvloyW/FsqGvWjjSYXehEEIKpfcyH006yOn2fEqgfl5/KyfrDXxDzQga+LlccOskb bjzEM7EgCiXe+asEBVYYYMGBGFtq1fL1nopx67D3MF8kI6qUENZYUyDi5WnVQeML+uJO wwhrzP9ZcnEMZsOxrGAmSMfnEpvNGdKFvBAgQ=
Check out the sysstat project.
Useful utilities for what you're doing are sar, iostat, and pidstat.
Setting up a simple monitoring script using pidstat run out of cron
would be your best bet.
Pidstat can give you info on memory utilisation (paging, swapping,
rss), io, cpu utilisation, and context switches,
Interpreting the results is the trickier problem. :-)
2008/8/19 Nima Talebi <nima.talebi@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi All,
> I've got some performance issues with some VMs where the `system' use was at
> about 50%, and the machine was not actually doing (or asked to do) anything
> At the moment, I'm not interested in _fixing_ the problem - VMware can do
> that - all I want to do is run a system profiler on a dozen physical
> machine, and also on a dozen VMs, then I'd interpret the results manually;
> factoring in other overheads etc.
> For I/O I'm using IO-zone, my main concern at the moment is the processing
> Has anyone come across a decent tool for this?
> Nima Talebi w: http://ai.autonomy.net.au/
> p: +61-4-0667-7607 m: nima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html
http://slug.org.au/ (the Sydney Linux Users Group)