SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: Compromised Linux box stories (Re: [SLUG] upgrading complicated installs
- To: Rick Welykochy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Compromised Linux box stories (Re: [SLUG] upgrading complicated installs
- From: Dean Hamstead <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:58:53 +1000
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx, jam <jam@xxxxxxxxx>
- User-agent: Mozilla-Thunderbird 188.8.131.52 (X11/20080509)
I am running a server that was getting heaps of password cracking
attempts on SSH port 22. Since changing the port, the attempts
Denyhosts is a great daemon/cronscript that will manage hosts.allow for
your ssh server. you can set thresholds and instant triggers etc which
will result in that ip being blocked.
Also, you could turn off password auth and just use keys.