Re: [SLUG] upgrading complicated installs

"Amos Shapira" <amos.shapira@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM, david <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> OK.. looks like a complete install, track down all the bits and pieces
>> and hopefully not miss anything.
>>
>> Luckily I'm reasonably consistent where I put things, so it's just going
>> to be a long slow process.
>>
>> In a perfect world, apt-get would do everything but in practice it
>> doesn't :(
>
> So you can try to narrow the gap between "perfect" and "current" by
> trying to create packages for the software you write.

It is also helpful to try and avoid building your own custom packages as
much as possible.  In many cases alternatives exist, or waiting for an
upgrade has a longer cost.

> I saw some programs (possibly already packaged for Debian/Ubuntu)
> which can take any software packge which installs from source (some
> limited to the usual "./config && make && make test && make install",
> some more general), track what files were changed and installed by the
> installation process (using strace, I guess), then make it possible
> for you to have a list of the files involved and uninstall them
> cleanly. Same or other programs can keep track of which extra packages
> were installed outside the debian package management system.

Yes: checkinstall is a good tool for doing this, although the various
'dh-make-*' packages provide good support for Perl and PHP modules.

Regards,
        Daniel