SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] help! resetting nm-applet on Hardy Herron to make wireless work again
- To: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] help! resetting nm-applet on Hardy Herron to make wireless work again
- From: "Amos Shapira" <amos.shapira@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 22:56:59 +1000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=9OIiVo6Ut2LHI01tQ7njCkftlt1OmmKImMy1AjSECJ8=; b=oMsd9VEBmd5GjNhvikB/SMrPnIdbk5+JOOQVOV2VqoQHOmaGpxJuvFvfoxtbxF3hnOVKVuFM4+6WeTHt0iICmbkHBMMOj5mUqXzcP21//kM6aBnvgm29Wo6PR8L6nq4ULPgs53dhwlYKiodtNRzn0PjRphoPdOQMt15KT0ucqOw=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=qqt0ScKitDeWnnj9lpfywu9yYojEbLIvWuOZNHlEMz3EnGaoKG0kMsnDB+ApC5dx5puo2/iDng3DLZCrNdsV3HKRv8EkVJiEGiSJm4eyhidAxpXqfJGL44RvMfQgRjEKPetPslfCOsKV01darMG5OMqJGV7+5iwr8yB7mJua3FI=
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy.visser@xxxxxxxxx>
> On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 17:13 +1000, Amos Shapira wrote:
> > "Manual Configuration" only gives me the usual "Enable Roaming" option
> > for both wireless and wired networks, which doesn't seem to make a
> > difference?
> The roaming mode is meant to be checked. If Network Manager doesn't pick
> the change up straight away, don't go unchecking it. Just log off and
> log on again.
Already tried this, including a complete reboot.
> If it still doesn't work, go edit /etc/network/interfaces (I hope your
> distro has its config there), and delete every single line _except_ for
> the ones containing "auto lo" and "iface lo inet loopback". Log out and
> log in to see if it worked.
That's EXACTLY what I did after being advised the same thing on another
mailing list and now everything works. I didn't even have to restart NM or
anything - it just noticed the change in the file.
The strange thing is that I can't tell who the hell added the lines which I
removed. I'm sure I didn't. Could it be an older version of NM (this system
upgraded from Gutsy, and worked for two-three weeks under Hardy).
All these troubles began when I tried to convince NM to talk to an Access
Point for which I had the pass key only as a hex string and I just didn't
Is there some special trick to make it accept hex strings (as opposed to
"text" passwords which are then hashed with the ESSID or something)?