SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Easy way to duplicate a setup?
- To: DaZZa <dagibbs@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Easy way to duplicate a setup?
- From: Peter Chubb <peterc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:06:06 +1000
- Cc: Slug <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Organization: Gelato@UNSW
- User-agent: Wanderlust/2.15.6 (Almost Unreal) SEMI/1.14.6 (Maruoka) FLIM/1.14.9 (Gojō) APEL/10.7 MULE XEmacs/21.4 (patch 21) (Educational Television) (i486-linux-gnu)
>> OK guru's. :-)
>> I'm in a situation where I need to duplicate on a mass basis - to
>> the order or 3000-5000 units - a Linux setup off a headless box.
>> All the destination boxes will be identical in specification, and
>> the same as the original. At this point (trial - only 15 to do),
>> I've made an image of the disk using DD to a USB attached drive -
>> which works, and gets the new boxes working, but takes 3+ hours to
>> dump the image back to the new boxes.
Sounds like systemimager may fit your needs. You set up a `golden
image', replicate it (once) to the server, then boot the rest via
DHCP/TFTP. You can use bittorrent once the first few are booting to
get the rest of the stuff.
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au ERTOS within National ICT Australia