SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Easy way to duplicate a setup?
- To: Slug <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [SLUG] Easy way to duplicate a setup?
- From: DaZZa <dagibbs@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:51:47 +1000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=zMgdGwB0iVMn3x7tUv/tLt541YyUaMCogIk2I/Em9P8=; b=rIZVJlqPpvIkb77ufh7zbrBLsyPJdiV/rhoTcCw8FXsoK1enslUely7lsVTVBwasZ4Bka7+mkp+IOx50SSGPSJ+E/H8s6VxQmYiLz6mgcwk+eNClPlYh3jV76WHKQuOTXecJW6hvDR3ib2jhAUcAxAI+eRGA8RCkfWdsrfQaIDQ=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; b=LmZ1DegtzGXY3r++V2oI/tp8RXll8q9avq5Mg/UxqOGP7nTG3qq1YBjLqhsKGhlCpnSeeoFVVjAfZ5VaNGhzmJEDJ0TSom9HBjdYiKG4mF8a9qiAerx13uNkkwMEisixZgmZ8CD3VkZPaZbs0OFjntXyX6pDkM7ZGkQMtsN0wQ4=
OK guru's. :-)
I'm in a situation where I need to duplicate on a mass basis - to the
order or 3000-5000 units - a Linux setup off a headless box.
All the destination boxes will be identical in specification, and the
same as the original. At this point (trial - only 15 to do), I've made
an image of the disk using DD to a USB attached drive - which works,
and gets the new boxes working, but takes 3+ hours to dump the image
back to the new boxes.
3+ hours over 5000 machines is not really acceptable. :-)
Is there a better way to do this? Something which will make a smaller
image and dump back quicker - most of the disk is empty, there's only
about 15 gig of actual data/setup on a 160 gig drive - and still
maintain the partition setup/bootability like using DD does?
Willing to listen to anyone who has a cluestick and is willing to apply it.