SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] SIM cards as cheap data storage?
- To: "Sridhar Dhanapalan" <sridhar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] SIM cards as cheap data storage?
- From: "Martin Visser" <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:55:18 +1000
- Cc: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=i1jvKzj70nxPm1BoFqLgWW3jfzZLgx3kVEZAiaEXqDY=; b=vKpZECuGU0TfydLkb6ADly4uVTh/Ce5iK2yZIVejEmLvQvm73C+it0Oi2200Hjtqadq0yp0ObDTsurDYYPoHtaJ+ZmCGJLOfRmTPqX7l7EFKm+EbFnnAnZGOqGQwWy2Vn98Te7MmWPrX9bKW1aNcJJmNMH9v/lfue1iRB3IekzE=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=J4qyewzFbMLZopoAmPz/2rKS2upC3z9OMpnffr5s+cmgaasU8gh0BaaNXd55XxIDPSfvLPEeRSxfsR+vlzt0OHDwFjX8GyK9J2TSQnqzMIZbelsKEVNsQKbrc99UzIwTd0lv62Jg6l4kh9VYPC4bkw3+sY0EC+nSV9sfzfqXJiE=
You haven't mentioned a physical size requiment. Untethered SIM cards
(and probably SD cards) are a tad small - and too easily lost.
Also is security/privacy and reliability an issue?
Rather SIM - what about the phone itself. In 1st world countries we
are approaching 1:1 ratio. Provide you connect to the phone
(Bluetooth/GSM/IR) it is a pretty good storage device that people tend
to look after. (bCode uses this principle for it's ticketing scheme)
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
> I am looking for a cheap data storage solution for many people. The
> requirements are as follows:
> * CHEAP (very important)
> * storage space isn't important - maybe a couple of hundred kilobytes max.
> * media can be lost and replaced without much trouble/cost
> * media can be easily read/written by an ordinary Linux computer
> * media and media reader must be reasonably durable
> * scalable: the media should be distributable to millions of people
> Flash memory is too expensive - I'm looking for cards that cost <$1
> each. I was thinking that SIM cards (like what you get in your phone)
> would fit the bill. Is it possible to use these as a generic storage
> medium? All the information I could find on USB SIM card readers
> mention that the SIM is accessed as a serial rather than a storage
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html