[SLUG] Anyone familiar with git?

Hi all,

I'm interested in hacking on a project that uses git and although I
have used cvs, sccs, GNU arch, bzr, svn, perforce, darcs and others,
git seems to have gotten the better of me.

What I would like to do is the following:

 a) Pull the upstreams sources (this I can already do).

 b) Create branch of the upstream sources for my own hacking (I
    think this is "git clone upstream hacking").

 c) Hack on my hacking branch and commit stuff as I see fit.

 d) Routinely update my upstream source branch (this I can do with
    "git fetch ; git rebase origin" but I'm not entirely sure what
    these commands do).

 e) Merge from the updated upstream into my hacking branch.

 f) Generate diffs between the upstream branch to my hacking branch
    to send upstream.

It would be much appreciated if someone could clue me in on this
stuff. For instance, I'm not sure the above is even the right way
to work with git. I have found dozens of supposed explanations and
howtos on the net and none of then are anywhere near a complete
picture. many of them are not even helpful.

Cheers,
Erik

Erik de Castro Lopo
"Islam wishes to destroy all states and governments anywhere on the face
of the Earth which are opposed to the ideology and program of Islam,
regardless of the country or the nation which rules it."
--  Syed Abul Ala Maududi, founder of Pakistan's Jamaat-e-Islami, April 1939