[SLUG] Ugly fonts in Hardy

Hi all,

I'm on Hardy Heron and like Jeremy, I have been suffering from
ugly fonts:

    http://jeremy.visser.name/2008/03/ugly-fonts-in-hardy

In the comments to Jeremy's blog post Lindsay said:

> System -> Preferences -> Appearance, click on the Fonts tab.
>
> You’ll probably see “Rendering” set to “Best shapes”, and you’ll
> want to set it to “Subpixel smoothing (LCDs)”.
>
> If you click on the “Details” button at the bottom, you’ll get
> another screen with a bunch more options. Try setting “Hinting”
> to “None”, and “Smoothing” to “Subpixel (LCDs).

Problem is, I'm not running Gnome (i prefer E17). I've run
gconf-editor and I can find the "Hinting" setting, but not any
of the others.

Anybody got any clues how to fix this?

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"I'm too fucking busy, or vice versa" -- Dorothy Parker