Re: [SLUG] hard drive failure, back-up, and other unhappiness

Hi everyone.
My personal experience with hard drives and enclosures is far away from
being ended, but since now i ran into much trouble and had my clues
(PATA,SATA,SCSI, both usb & fixed)

I would like to share with you my facts:
  - try using a linux box with software "testdisk", "scalpel", and so on ...
data was always recoverable, in my exp. (by meaning of replacing PCBs or
just cables, or just by luck).
  - try using "ultimate boot cd" from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ (it has
a bunch of proprietary tools from hdd's vendors, useful to do a low-level
formatting (it is great in getting rid of CLANGS, believe !!!)
  - on windows you can try "get data back" or "r:studio", but i assume it is
a linux partition, giving we are on a LUG !!!

believe, it worth the try to recover data, and do no try fdisk since it wont
be useful in this situation (all your files would be gathered to lost+found
directories). SURE, a backup strategy HAS TO BE implemented, for what it
takes !

Hope have been useful, everyone apologize me for bad english :) i'm italian
!!
See you soon, great mailinglist dudes !!

Massimiliano Fantuzzi,
IT Professionist & System Builder
www.fantuz.net // superfantuz@xxxxxxxxx