SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Linux wireless access point
- To: SLUG List <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Linux wireless access point
- From: Carlo Sogono <carlo.sogono@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:18:10 +1100
- Organization: Anchor Systems Pty Ltd
- User-agent: Thunderbird 220.127.116.11pre (X11/20071023)
Simon Males wrote:
By Prism2 you are referring to the hostap-driver. I would say yes that
it is still supported, mainly because it was one of the first wireless
drivers to kick arse.
You may want to note that Prism2 is 802.11b.
I just found this note on http://w1.fi/
Note! Host AP driver was added into the main kernel tree in Linux
v2.6.14. The version in the kernel tree should be used instead of this
external hostap-driver package. The external releases are only for
older kernel versions and all the future development will be in the
main kernel tree.
I think your in luck.
Thanks I've done a bit of digging around forums/lists last night and discovered Atheros chips support host AP as well. Ended up getting a Netgear WG311 PCI card (802.11g) that uses a 5212 Atheros chip. $37 bucks sure beats buying a new WAP.