SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] CPUs
- To: "Malcolm Johnston" <drmjj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] CPUs
- From: "Martin Visser" <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:01:13 +1000
- Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=rp4sbFXC2zeZLFESUOVdXmRSohemL8kYVRSyLyEfYRrw5Ty9WTC9hTVxsWeFwzHPci06Isw0qQ+4FDugC68z5Uxx31+rcgQRIybCRYJuJsBy8X8O528iTa9/8DnoPcLXWT35yKyLPoTlv9gz69iA8EIBIjnrRQ7ltbMVJiNgcYA=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=fzuOmze2smt9Ek8WDSRJ/VHfBLFy8doCZEgsEpux9qMEqat/ZlmG2bjvU9+QM3dPW8jXVTloPPLoBYxGo/qMBUO62KMlWAamjGUwFTAv6kdP8UrQc0lGzDK6PkkBulTGG89ahpEG/yPcbOWicv4sfzBcqJ1IUlfXDeSf4dIzBz4=
As this is a message from the future, Aug 29, 2007 12:09 AM, I am hoping my
response is still relevant ;-)
While it is possible that your kernel might have extension specfic
instruction for the Athlon that aren't in the Sempron it is unlikely.
(Ubuntu certainly has a unified kernel - not sure about Slackware).
I hazard a guess that your problem might be due to a speed up in the CPU
that is affecting memory access. Try booting a live cd that has memtest86+
on it and check that your memory is still working as it should. (Ubuntu
livecds have this, or you can download a single-purpose ISO from
You might want to check that your BIOS memory settings aren't locked in to
particular timings either.
On 8/29/07, Malcolm Johnston <drmjj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there any reason that anybody can think of as to why I cannot install
> AMD Sempron in place of an ageing (but otherwise satisfactory) AMD Athlon.
> Could a change in the video card cause problems (kernel panic at that).
> All opinions, however hedged, or, for that matter, however bigotted, would
> welcome. The Linux distribution I am running is Slackware 11, and there
> no major problems installing that on the Athlon.
> In anticipation, thanks for what you can get around to contributing.
> Malcolm Johnston
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
> Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html