Re: [SLUG] how do I log startup or where do I find the log?

On 8/17/07, Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Martin Barry wrote:
> > $quoted_author = "Marghanita da Cruz" ;
> >> My knoppix/grup startup reports a couple of errors, which I have been happy
> >> to live with until now... however, I would like to look into them but am
> >> not sure how to capture the error messages before they fly by and KDE
> >> starts up.
> > /var/log/dmesg
> > keeps the most recent boot
> > dmesg | less
> > will show what would go to the console but has a limited buffer and may not
> > have the actual boot if the server has been up for some time
>
> Thanks Dazza and Marty...checked that file, however, it seems I asked the wrong
> question. It seems I need the log of the next bit of the startup. Knoppix is
> running on my laptop.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Change the default run level so it doesn't boot into X but rather
remains in command line mode. Not sure what you need the run level to
be - never used that distro. It could be 2 or 3 to boot it to command
line mode, 5 to get to graphical mode.

Logon as root once the boot is finished, and you can scroll back up
through the boot process by holding SHIFT and PGUP.

Note that this ONLY works if you don't toggle VC's - once you switch
to a new VC {I.E. by hitting ALT F2, for example}, this buffer will be
lost.

Again, this is a limited buffer, so if what you need to see is too far
back you might not be able to find it.

DaZZa