SLUG Mailing List Archives
RE: [SLUG] reported memory and actual memory
- To: Ben Donohue <bdonohue@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: RE: [SLUG] reported memory and actual memory
- From: Glen Turner <gdt@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:56:33 +0930
- Cc: slug <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Organization: Glen Turner <http://www.aarnet.edu.au/~gdt/>
On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 08:57 +1000, Ben Donohue wrote:
> But can you use a 64bit kernel on a 32bit processor?
> I was assuming you couldn't however I'm happy to be corrected.
No you can't. It uses special 64-bit instructions that
are not supported on 32-bt processors. Note that there
are a lot of 64-bit processors out there that have
never operated in anything other than 32-bit mode: check
the processor specs for AMD64 or x86-64 support.