SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Can SAMBA 3.0.24 be a BDC for a Windows 2003 domain controller?
- To: "SLUG List" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Can SAMBA 3.0.24 be a BDC for a Windows 2003 domain controller?
- From: "Amos Shapira" <amos.shapira@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:56:02 +1000
- Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=c53Rf8INkJkSqqKW8WYcygXc0pBRKiWO2HpCOYu+WNeSxQs+ewB0P59sGs7x1ygDxn4FwobvNtbzeJ/oCy0/DhiUvyi1D4ZZMTBI/hRWjrJaQcqprga4PE40O139WUQH0UTAaKtgLRj9hO8NUZRFK7L2S8gwyIH+RSjZMgvsoI0=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=atKfV134iTZtvB07w11FG1ezNs3oo/EQsH50K2ZVIhgA65Jo8To1oEL04YS0hGO/I0zbMBS42mkXB/WTB/MZ9nE+3QeQg8u4/pRMv3A75duGpk2B8mX3f4rdUys7Wf6WLCfKIZPUPSIOsyKMrs3JZMS+K6S9wAo17Z3DWpOiYm0=
On 26/06/07, DaZZa <dagibbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You need to get your terminology straight first.
I suspected so :). Windows networking is so foreign to me.
There's no such thing as a "PDC" or "BDC" in an Active Directory
environment - especially a 2003 AD environment.
There are PDC and BDC _emulator_ roles, which are only necessary if
you're in a mixed-mode network - I.E. you have both AD
(Win2000/2003,XP) and non-AD (NT 4) servers in your network.
However, this quote from chapter 4 of the SAMBA-3-HOWTO would indicate
you're out of luck
Thanks very much both to you and Dave for the quick replies. Shame I
can't convert another machine to Linux but at least since we invested
in a proper hardware RAID controller we might be able to get away with
the existing Windows 2003 on that server.