Re: [SLUG] nvidia 8600 driver

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 14:20 +1000, Scott Ragen wrote:
> slug-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 15/06/2007 10:46:52 AM:
>
> > I installed an nvidia 8600, it works well enough using the nv driver but
> > after installing the non-free automatix driver, X dies completely on
> > reboot - black screen - Can't log in from ctl-alt-f1 or from ssh.
> >
> > After extensive googling, I happened on this page:
> >
> > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.
> > 0-9755/README/appendix-a.html
> >
> Download the latest drivers:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_100.14.09.html

After endless hours of messing around, I discovered Envy:
http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
which worked a treat first go.

I used option 6, which strips the system of old drivers, and then option
1 which installs the latest proprietary drivers.

It seems to strip Ubuntu of everything related to nvidia then re-install
the proprietary drivers from scratch. There seem to be lots of conflicts
between the different driver and configuration files. Nvidia seem to
have given up on keeping track (I've lost the reference for this - but
it was on an nvidia.com page)

The only downside seems that you have to re-run Envy every time you
upgrade.