SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Re: recommended internet wireless
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] Re: recommended internet wireless
- From: Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:58:04 +1000
- Organization: Ramin Communications
- Reply-to: marghanita@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de-AT; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030714 Debian/1.4-2
Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
This one time, at band camp, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
Anyone got any thumbs up/down on wireless internet services for Linux
(eg unwired.com.au, iBurst)?
The ethernet-based unwired modem "works" but the service is highly
variable depending on your location. In some places it's great, others
it's terrible. It has quite high latency.
Have to agree, I gave up on the unwired modem after struggling to get a
reliable service about 18 months back. But things can change over time.
I am very happy with my desktop I-Burst access bridge via a router for
added security. Had good experience in both Sydney and
Canberra with a couple of users on the ethernet LAN. It is shaped, so
when you use up your quota you can buy more or just put up with a slow
service until the end of the month - when it is reset.
Marghanita da Cruz